2/23/10

Love for the Library (Part 1)

I just sent off a letter to the Natrona County Public Library in Casper, Wyoming.  It was at the library's request as the staff prepares for its centennial celebration this Spring.  Their request was for me to write a letter about what public libraries mean to me. 

The assignment turned into an unexpected and wonderful adventure down memory lane.  I had such a good time thinking back to my personal library experiences that I thought I'd share my letter with you.  I hope this will spark your own reflection and encourage you to post your own comments about why you love the library too! 
Dear fellow booklovers,
The chorus of one Jimmy Buffett song captures my lifelong love affair with public libraries:
Love in the library, quiet and cool
Love in the library, there are no rules
Surrounded by stories surreal and sublime
I fell in love in the library once upon a time

One of my earliest childhood memories is of my first trip to the library in Evanston, Illinois. I can remember my feeling of amazement while piling books into my arms. I couldn’t believe all those books were there for me. Getting my very own library card was like a teenager getting their driver’s license! It was like getting the keys to a candy shop for my imagination.
Read more this afternoon...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and sharing your thoughts. Learn more about my books on Facebook and my website www.maryalicemonroe.com.


All the best,
Mary Alice