10/12/10

A Visit to the Richland County Public Library


Recently I had the honor of being the guest speaker at the annual meeting for ardent library supporters, the Friends of Richland County Public Library. It always brings me great joy to see a library strongly supported like this one in Columbia, South Carolina.

I love libraries. I can still feel the rush of awe and wonder I experienced when I first went to the library as a child and was told all those books were there for me. It was like being in a candy store for the imagination! I treasure my library card to this day and am grateful to the librarians who help me with my research.

Libraries are community gems--especially this library. The Richland County Library is extraordinary! The architecture alone is impressive. It’s like the Guggenheim Museum meets Lalique crystal! The quality of light pouring in from the walls of windows is gorgeous. Downstairs, the children’s department is colorfully decorated with life-size scenes from Maurice Sendak’s popular “Where the Wild Things Are.” Tall, live trees thrive in the amazing light to help create this wonderland. You feel like you’re walking through the pages of the storybook.

I could write at length about the captivating architecture, vast array of books, and deeply committed community members. Instead, go see it for yourself. Public libraries aren’t typically on people’s travel plans, but if you’re going to make a stop in Columbia, South Carolina, then swing into the Richland County Public Library. You won’t be disappointed!

Libraries are an integral part of our community, expanding minds and imaginations one book at a time. Support the one nearest you.

Editor's Note:  Thank you to the Richland County Public Library for sharing these photos. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and sharing your thoughts. Learn more about my books on Facebook and my website www.maryalicemonroe.com.


All the best,
Mary Alice