11/23/09

Thankful to be Content


Every year as Thanksgiving approaches, I reflect on all that I have to be thankful for. This year, my thoughts turn not to the great events or successes. Rather, my heart is thankful for the non-specific yet prevailing joys of my life. These include standing back and observing how my children are each actively pursuing their bliss, that my marriage is loving and fulfilling, and my friends and family are caring and compassionate. I’m also thankful that my health is good and my mind is still curious and capable. These are my blessings.

It is enough. Sometimes I pray for something I want, but don’t necessarily need. If I don’t get it I might grow impatient and I wonder if it will ever materialize, then later, begin to worry it will not. Michael Jordan once said that his failures were as important to his growth as his successes. Failure, obstacles, disappointments, and rejections test character and resolve. They also teach patience and prod us to reevaluate our efforts.

And what if God simply says “No” to what I pray for?

Max Lucado wrote,
"Content. That’s the word. A state of heart in which you would be at peace if God gave you nothing more than he already has.”
This Thanksgiving I give thanks to God for all my blessings and I pray for the serenity and wisdom to recognize those blessings every day and be content.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and sharing your thoughts. Learn more about my books on Facebook and my website www.maryalicemonroe.com.


All the best,
Mary Alice